Recognising that many luxury brands rely heavily on the work and experience of artists and craftmakers, Walpole developed the mentorship programme Crafted. Established in 2007 with the Prince’s Trust – and with support from Arts & Business and American Express – Crafted provides on-to-one mentorship and a series of educational workshops for up to 12 individuals and businesses each year.
Every individual selected for the programme has a fundamental belief in craftsmanship and an appreciation for objects beautifully made. The aim of Crafted is to foster a sense of entrepreneurialism in these craft businesses and provide them with opportunities to help grow beyond the traditional owner/maker scope of many businesses. For more information please visit www.crafteduk.org.
The craftmakers on the 2012 Crafted programme are:
- Bill Amberg, Bill Amberg is mentoring Jessica Poole
- Shona Campbell, Mulberry is mentoring Charlene Mullen
- Beverley Ryder is mentoring Sophie Coryndon
- Annoushka Ducas, Annoushka Jewellery is mentoring Gaskell Quartz
- Stephen Etheridge, Church's English Shoes is mentoring Rothschild & Bickers
- Pamela Harper, Halcyon Days is mentoring Angela Cork
- Alistair Hughes, Savoir Beds is mentoring Angus Ross
- Edward Mason, Mason Campbell is mentoring Cumbria Crystal
- Richard Miller, Halstock Cabinet Makers is mentoring Sasha Wardell
- Chis Sharp, The Rug Company is mentoring Katie Walker Furniture
- James Sugden, Johnstons of Elgin is mentoring Fair Isle Knitwear