The company of Waterford was first established in 1783 on land adjacent to Merchants' Quay in the heart of the Irish harbor town of Waterford, just minutes from the present day House of Waterford Crystal.
Its founders were brothers, William and George Penrose, important developers and principal exporters in the city. Their vision was to “create the finest quality crystal for drinking vessels and objects of beauty for the home.” More than two hundred years later, the reputation they established for creating glass of unsurpassed beauty and quality has transcended the intervening centuries.
Waterford Crystal today maintains very strong links with its illustrious predecessors. There is the same dedication to purity of color, design inspiration and highest quality levels: core values carried over and maintained from the company’s earliest beginnings.