Debrett’s | 1769: A Fine Vintage
2019 marks the 250th anniversary of Debrett’s and the 150th edition of their first publication, The Peerage.
As Quintessentially British as fish and chips and as old as the Oxford standardised King James Version Bible, The Peerage is Britain’s only up-to-date printed guide to the UK’s hereditary peers, life peers and peeresses, baronets, and their descendants.
In addition to comprehensive coverage of Britain’s peerage and baronetage, The Peerage also contains information relating to:
– The Royal Family
– Coats of Arms
– Principal British Commonwealth Orders
– Courtesy titles
– Forms of address
– Extinct, dormant, abeyant and disclaimed titles
Special features for this anniversary edition include:
– A full name index of all living persons named in the peerage and baronetage (about 140,000 names), together with the names of fathers-in-law both living and deceased – a huge help for genealogists and general readers alike.
– The Roll of Honour, 1920: a list of the 3,150 people whose names appeared in the volume who were killed in action or died as a result of injuries sustained during the First World War.
– A number of specially commissioned articles, including an in-depth feature exploring the implications of modern legislation, DNA testing, transgender heirs and adoption on succession of titles.
Whether for professional use — to ensure proper forms of address are used with clients both in writing and in person – or for personal interest, this special anniversary edition will make a beautiful addition to a bookshelf or coffee table. Produced in two volumes and encased in a slipcase, the publication is limited to 700 copies and will be released in December 2018.
Debrett’s is offering 10% off the retail price of £450 to Walpole members with the code WALPOLE10, which can be entered at checkout.