57-58 S Audley St,
View website

James Purdey & Sons

Purdey holds three Royal Warrants of appointment as gun and rifle makers to the British and other European royal families. James Purdey founded James Purdey & Sons Limited in London, England in 1814, locating his business on Princes Street. In 1882, the company moved from Oxford Street to new premises on the corner of South Audley Street and Mount Street, where the company remains to this day. James – the younger – designed this building to accommodate his showroom, the factory, and later the building provided living quarters for James' family. In 1994, James Purdey & Sons Ltd was acquired by the Richemont Group. Athol Purdey’s great-grandson, Richard, is appointed Chairman. 2004 saw Purdey celebrate 200 years in business and an unbroken lineage, descending from London’s ‘King of Gunmakers’. In order to mark the bicentenary Purdey issue a Bicentenary Trio, a special commemorative production of two shotguns and a double rifle.      

James Purdey & Sons News